Sunday, May 18, 2008

California Supreme Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

The California Supreme Court ruled Thursday to strike down two laws that had limited marriage unions to those between a man and a woman. The 4-3 decision will make California the second state after Massachusetts to allow same sex marriages. The decision will become effective in 30 days unless the courts grant a stay. Of course it was denounced by the various religious groups who seem to have forgotten that this country's forefathers came here to escape the oppression of the lack religious freedom and freedom in general. Apparently, they believe that our forefathers only wanted white male Christians to have complete freedom in our country. I have to say that I am happy about this decision. I am happy about it not just because I am homosexual and intend to one day marry my current girlfriend, and I am happy about it not just because my current girlfriend and I intend to move to California in the next 2-5 years. I am also happy about it because I believe in complete freedom as long as said freedom does not directly harm another person who is helpless to make decisions for themselves. I feel like people in this world and country do billions of things on a daily basis that I don't agree with on multiple levels, but that is not any reason for me to take away the freedom that they have to do those things. I feel like if someone wants to marry another human being or even multiple human beings and that if all of those people are of sound mind and consent then let them be free to do it. I don't think it is my business to choose for someone else what their life will be like. I don't believe that my view of the world is necessarily the "true" version and even if it is I don't believe I have the right to force that version of the world on others. If no one is being physically abused and everyone is adult and consenting then I figure do as you please. I and many other children on a daily basis are allegedly and proveably damaged emotionally and psychologically by our heterosexual 1 and 2 parent households and their relatives. If we are to protect emotional and psychological well-being of children then we have a lot of people to prosecute as opposed to choosing to persecute only one or two groups of people for what the masses are doing.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home